Thursday, February 25, 2016 Leave a Comment
It’s only midway through Thursday but I’m already dreaming of the weekend…. Actually, truth be told, I’ve been engrossed with this coming weekend for a while now. It promises to be somewhat of an epic event for a number of reasons…. First- I’m kid-free, and that is always cause for kicking the old heels up. Second, it’s the end of Feb-fast- a whole month of no alcohol for me- which I plan to celebrate achieving with a good old fashioned binge drinking session. And lastly, but by no means least, I’m traveling up to Sydney with my better half and best mate to attend a joint milestone birthday celebration for two close friends. All week I’ve been looking forward to the moment when I can joyously exclaim those unforgettable words from Human Traffic…. “The weekend has landed!” And whilst the anticipation is killing me- the constant “Are we there yet?” permeating my thoughts like a case of gastro in a childcare center, there is something kind of fun about the lead up to a big event- especially if it is highlighted with a killer soundtrack.
Your frame of mind when you finally reach an event you’ve been looking forward to can be drastically altered by the circumstances leading up to your arrival. Good pre-party preparations should occupy at least several hours in which you need to ensure you have your A-team knickers on, your shoes compliment your new outfit, your hair is spectacular, your eye makeup is not going to make you look like a panda before at least 4am the next morning, and so on, and so forth. Whilst these essential personal embellishments are executed, it helps to play some music to put you in the right frame of mind for the impending par-tay. Here are 10 of my favourite tracks for getting me into the mood…..
1. Can’t Hold Us- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: “Can we go back, this is the moment, Tonight is the night, we’ll fight ’til it’s over”- I just love anything this duo put out and this song is definitely one of my faves- always makes me feel excited about what’s to come!
2. Hey ya- OutKast: Listening to this song is akin to receiving an auditory endorphin IV. Try NOT to smile when you listening to it!
3. The Prayer- Bloc Party: Feeling a little flat, perhaps a little introverted and shy about the big event? Well, knock back a stiff drink and say your prayers, baby! Don’t worry- you’ll be unstoppable!
4. Praise You- Fatboy Slim: If you’re planning on hitting the dance floor at your forthcoming party, it’s always wise to practice your moves prior to the disco light showering you in its lustrous embrace. And there’s no better way to warm up to a night of interpretative dance impressiveness than with a little FBS.
5. Disco Inferno- The Trammps: If interpretative dance is not your thing, then a good healthy dose of disco should do the trick. Get your swagger up to speed as you prepare to to get all funked up!
6. Final Countdown- Europe: Ultimate satisfaction can be extracted from this song if played whilst blow-drying your hair…..
7. 1999- Prince: I find it kind of funny that when this song was written it was anticipating how we were planning to party in the future, and now it’s a reflection on how we used to party…. However, since I have never really curbed my partying ways, the prognosis is one and the same.
8. S.O.B- Nathaniel Rateliffe & the Night Sweats: There’s possibly something a little twisted about getting pumped for a night out- especially if it involves drinking- by listening to this song, which seemingly details an alcoholic’s desire to get wasted. But hey, my life is full of such juxtapositions, so let’s drink to that!
9. Dance- Jamiroquai: OK, it’s true- I watched Napoleon Dynamite on the tele last weekend, and now I just can’t get “that” dance sequence out of my head. Play this song before you head out and all of your wildest dreams will come true!
10. It’s Time- Sonic Animation: If all else fails, and the preceding songs have failed to get you psyched, line yourself up a generous shot of tequila, turn up the volume on your boombox to 11 and hit play on this little doozy.
So- that’s my top picks for songs to get you psyched. What are your favourite songs for getting you pumped to go out? Let me know in the comments section below.