OK- I’ll admit it, I am a hopeless romantic at heart. So, on this day of over-amorous gestures and mass marketed stereotypes of the ways in which we should show our love to the significant “other halves” in our lives, I cannot help but imagine that a large number of cheesy love songs are being dedicated tonight in the hope that they may stir something within the cockles of the lucky recipient’s hearts.
Being an avid fan of the mix tape, I see no more perfect a day to give someone such a heart-felt and personal tribute of their love. As such, I shall herewith list a number of songs- in no particular order- that I would (and have) include on a Valentine’s mix tape to my beloved.
- The Rolling Stones- Wild Horses
- Madness- It must Be Love
- The Mouldy Peaches- Anyone Else But You
- Bloc Party- This Modern Love
- Otis Redding- I’ve Been Loving You Too Long
- Nick Cave- Into My Arms
- Faithless- Don’t Leave
- The Lemonheads- Into Your Arms
- John Martyn- One Day Without You
- Pete Townshend- Let My Love Open the Door
- Chairlift- Bruises
- Ted Hawkins- Groovy Little Things
- Tim Rogers & Tex Perkins- Half of Nothing
- Ryan Adams – Come Pick Me U
- Led Zeppelin- Whole Lotta Love
- The Doors- Love Her Madly
- Stevie Wonder – For Once in My Life
- Dire Straits – Romeo & Juliet
- Beth Orton- It’s Not the Spotlight
- Then I Met You- The Proclaimers
Check out the playlist on spotify:
What songs would you dedicate to the ones you love?
If there is one album that makes me eternally happy, it would be Daft Punk’s Alive. For me, it is the epitome of the live album, and best when played really, really loud, in which case, you can almost imagine yourself in the crowd.
Released in 2007, it should not be confused with a live album of the same name released 10 years prior. It has been called the ultimate Daft Punk mix tape, with good reason. All of my favourite tracks magically mashed together to provide a nonstop foot-tappin extravaganza. I find it hard to go past track 5, wherein Around the World is mashed up with Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. my affinity with this track was most recently strengthened when it became the anthem for my team undertaking the Tough Mudder obstacle course- our team name appropriately Harder, Better, Faster, Sparta!
Not surprisingly, the French duo received 2 Grammy awards for the album in 2008. It remains my one of my favourite go-to albums to get the party started and definitely one of my top live albums.
Other notable mentions in my Live Album Hall of Fame include Underworld: Everything Everything (2000) and AC/DC Live (1992).
Daft Punk Alive 2007
Listen to it: on a Friday afternoon to welcome in the weekend
If you like it, you might also like: Digitalism
How about you? What is your favourite live album and why?